Friday, July 28, 2006

More aggrevation.

I received a 4-page form in the post from Lloyds yesterday telling me that I needed to give them more information about why I wanted the information I'm requesting (and finally informing me of the fee). I was fairly certain that I didn't need to tell them what I wanted the information for and after speaking to a number of my colleagues, felt fairly certain this was the case.

It certainly seemed like the more information I gave them about why I wanted the information, the easier it would be for them to keep me from getting the information I wanted. (They could, of course, read this blog, but I'm waiting to see how long that takes.)

This morning I called the Information Commisioner's DPA advice line and spoke to a friendly adviser who was very helpful in explaining my rights under the Act. (This useful document from the ICO explains "When and How to Complain" and contains the helpline number. There's also an online enquiry form to request help or information.)

He advised that I potentially had 3 complaints against Lloyds. They are (potentially):

- The initial disclosure of my financial information;
- Failing to reply to my initial request within the 40 day time limit and;
- Trying to require me to tell them why I wanted the information.

I was very impressed with the man I spoke to a the ICO since he really seemed to feel that he was a citizen advocate and encouraged me to complain so that this type of thing wouldn't happen to other people. He impressed upon me the importance of doing this not just for my sake but for the sake of the public.

This weekend I'll be gathering the information I need for the complaint form. I will also be sending Lloyds a letter saying that I'd like to proceed without having to tell them why I want the information. (Sounds like a fun weekend, huh?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home